Posts Tagged ‘Honey Bees’

New Year 2011!!


Well, so starts a new year of beekeeping. Over the winter I thought my hive had died. I didn’t see any bees for a really long time. Even on warm days I didn’t see any, then, one warm day, I went out to my beeyard and saw like a bagillion of them flying around. YES!! Can’t wait to get out there and start working them again. Anyway, this year I have a couple of goals:

1- Replace the Queen
For about the past year, my hive has grown really aggressive and I have decided that it is the queens fault, and that I will replace her.

2- Get all the wax off of the frames.
It has been three years since I got most of my equipment and so I must strip some of the wax off of some of the frames. Luckily I get to do cool things with wax like candles, soap, and sell

3- Sell my honey and my wax.
This past year I got over 200 lbs. of honey but I still don’t have bottles so I can’t sell it. As soon as I get bottles I’m going to go on a major selling spree and sell everything that I can. Then, I will still have this coming years harvests. Hopefully I can sell that too.

If you have any other suggestions or cool things I can do with my bees, please comment. I am always looking for new and exciting things to try!

Another Sting


Well, I went out and checked my bees again. I noticed that they weren’t quite as active as they normally are and decided to check them. I thought that they might have swarmed. When I got out there, they were all just in the hive. I think the rain earlier today might have forced them into their hive. However, they did need another super. The makes three supers on top of my hive. Good thing I already extracted four. These three will make like one-hundred more pounds of honey. Yes!! Well, on my way out, I was scraping some burr comb off of the inside cover when I felt a sharp pain in my right arm. Another bee had stung me…through my suit… again. What is that four times through my suit. Who-hoo! I’m still hoping for at least one more super before I have to harvest.

Finished Product


In the end, we got around 124 lbs. of honey. I’d say that’s pretty good, seeing that we have a month or two left. After we had spent a day or two extracting it, we decided we should bottle it also. Yeah, we didn’t have nearly enough bottles and still have a five gallon bucket left. So we are going to order some more bottles ASAP and bottle the rest. I’m going to try to sell around 15 two lbs. bottles over here locally. I sell two lbs. bottles for about fifteen dollars so if I were to sell all 15, that is three-hundred dollars. That’s amazing!! Sorry, I can’t sell it on the web because I don’t have a food handler’s permit and the such, but maybe someday.

Extracting


I pulled off my first four supers. Wow!! So heavy!!! Anyway, my friends and I decided to extract it right after we pulled it off of the hive. It’s been pretty fun but it’s also been pretty hard. Luckily, we are doing it in an eighty-six degree garage! This makes the honey run about seven-bagillion times faster. Unluckily, manual labor in that kind of heat is killer. So, right now as I type, we are approximately half way done. We have spun about eighteen frames. That is almost two of the supers.

The best is when I find a live bee on the frames. All of my friends are scared of bees, so they kind of freak out, It’s pretty awesome!

So, I’ll talk to you all later! Post more when I finish.