Posts Tagged ‘Beekeeping’

New Year 2011!!


Well, so starts a new year of beekeeping. Over the winter I thought my hive had died. I didn’t see any bees for a really long time. Even on warm days I didn’t see any, then, one warm day, I went out to my beeyard and saw like a bagillion of them flying around. YES!! Can’t wait to get out there and start working them again. Anyway, this year I have a couple of goals:

1- Replace the Queen
For about the past year, my hive has grown really aggressive and I have decided that it is the queens fault, and that I will replace her.

2- Get all the wax off of the frames.
It has been three years since I got most of my equipment and so I must strip some of the wax off of some of the frames. Luckily I get to do cool things with wax like candles, soap, and sell

3- Sell my honey and my wax.
This past year I got over 200 lbs. of honey but I still don’t have bottles so I can’t sell it. As soon as I get bottles I’m going to go on a major selling spree and sell everything that I can. Then, I will still have this coming years harvests. Hopefully I can sell that too.

If you have any other suggestions or cool things I can do with my bees, please comment. I am always looking for new and exciting things to try!

Advertisements

Another PRODUCTIVE Check-up!!


So, as the title states, I went out and checked up on my hive again. Oh, They are doing great!! Right now, I am using a manipulation method with my supers. Basically, I put the new super on the bottom, right above the Brood boxes, so that the bees work on it before they go up into the other supers. So far, it has worked great. When I went out there, I took the top super off so that I could get to the ones beneath. Then, I tried taking the next two off but they were stuck together and I didn’t have anybody else that could help me. So I pulled them off just enough so that I could see into the super beneath.

It was eighty percent full of wax and honey. Doh!! I’m supposed to put another super on when it hits seventy! So I ran into my house and grabbed our last super. I would have put it on the bottom, but as I said before, I couldn’t get the last three supers off the hive, so now the new super is somewhere in the middle. With this last super, I have five supers on my hive. I am so excited to see how much honey we get. With my five supers and my brothers one or two, we should get over one-hundred pounds of honey!!! How in the world are we going to eat that?

So I was sticking everything back on, when I noticed that my inside cover was starting to come apart and that it also had a little mold on it. Seeing how I had a couple of extra inside covers, I replaced it with a new one. Hopefully that will also reduce moisture.

Then, just as I was leaving, a bee landed on my arm and stung all the way through my suit! It caught me by surprise, having a bee sting through my suit. But it didn’t hurt too bad. This is the third time that I have gotten stung by one of my bees. The first two actually stung me through my glove. Who would’ve guessed that bees had such long stingers.

Here is my hive as of 7/14/10.

My inside cover, The dark stuff along the side is Mold

The Other Side of the Cover, with Burr Comb on it.