Taking off a Super


I just barely took off my first honey super so I could extract. It was almost all the way full. The only part that wasn’t full was the side of the frame. So I took it to my neighbors house and started to extract. Wow, it’s a lot harder than I thought it would be. It took us almost an hour and my arm was going to fall off from turning the extractor so many times.

Anyway, to take off the super, I used a fume board. I took it out there and sprayed it and immediately I started to sneeze. That stuff really stinks. So we stuck it on and after about ten minutes, it had started to empty out. So we took it off and brushed the rest of the bees out. It took a while to brush the rest out but it turned out fine.

Then we took the super over to my neighbors garage. He had us put it under a heater so that the caps on the honey would start to get nice and soft so the uncapping knife/fork wouldn’t have to do very much.

Well, I’d say that we got plenty of honey out of the first super. Hopefully the next two will do the same.

Advertisements

One response to this post.

  1. Posted by Nina Peterson on September 25, 2009 at 12:19 PM

    Great joy Danny! Keep up the great work. Bees are totally awesome!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: